So it has been almost 4 months since I had given birth to a beautiful baby girl we named Isla.
Well, we have been waiting and waiting for her Birth Certificate and Social Security Card. Finally I decided to call about it. First I talked to the hospital to see how long it normally takes for one to receive their infant child's information. About 10 days is what I was told. So my response, "so almost 4 months is a problem?" Clearly I knew the answer but I wanted her to verify that I was of my right mind. I was then given another couple of numbers to call for her birth certificate and her social security number. I was able to get a hold of the Birth Certificate number, but they had to call me back because they also were on their lunch.
They called back and I was still on lunch. Apparently, our certificate was sent to a different address as well the social security number. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Let's say I was trying to stay calm, because I knew the person I was talking too-was not the person that couldn't do their job correctly. I then asked the lady what I could do about her social security number. I was told that I should just wait to get the birth certificate and then take it to the Social Security Building to re-apply. Then I was given a number to the social security office to verify information. Well, after being on the phone waiting for my turn the wait time before someone was going to be able to get back with me would have been 50 minutes.
I decided that I could just go to the social security administration in Ames. Remember, still on my lunch break. I parked, and walked in the building (carrying my wallet, keys, and phone). The security guard asked what I was here for....I said that it was complicated and that I was here to ask what to do if your infant child's social security number was sent the wrong address and/or what my next action should be if I should wait until the birth certificate arrives or what. He said he had never heard that before. Then the guard had to ask the question that he asked everyone before and after me. "Are you carrying any weapons, etc." My smart response (which I am sure he had heard plenty of.....) "My keys are about the only weapons I am carrying." I then had to get a numbe and wait my turn. I did have to wait a while, but FINALLY was called up. The gentleman that helped me said I would need something with proof of her name and my name. Then asked me questions to make sure I was me. Don't worry I passed, I know you were worried. He said that we just had to re-apply for the social security number. I was so happy when I left the building with her number (well, not the actual card, but the number on a printed sheet).
A few days later we did receive the Birth Certificate...BUT, apparently both Maceo and my parents told us both the wrong dates for the days of our Birth...OR, someone typed in the information incorrectly. I guess we should blame the person who didn't do their J.O.B. Now, we both have to go in and take our Driver's licenses to correct the information on Isla's Birth Certificate.
And a few days after receiving the Birth Certificate we did receive the Social Security Card. Nothing was wrong with that one. Thank goodness!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment